Saturday, March 7, 2009

Four Words

I am inspired to write today....

The words flow easier when
my feelings are turned inside out
Apparently you were thinking of me when you snatched
them off my sleeve
leaving them by the wayside
Exposing them to the world
and there was nothing I could do about it
When my heart fell into my stomach
I knew that what I felt for you was real
It may have been short lived but it was real, nonetheless.
I was ready to let you into my world
Rearranging the pieces of my life
in order to make room for you
I quieted my restless mind
and told you I liked you
putting it all on the table
No secrets about how I felt.
You replied with four simple words
"I like you too"
four words that I have been waiting to hear
four words
in that very moment
my thirst was quenched
I was ready to see what was in store for the two of us
I was not bothered by your past creeping into our future
Our future
I didn't see white picket fences and bouncing babies
I saw more nights filled with talking
followed by new discoveries
You say that we were in different places and you couldn't be in the same place as me
But I never asked you to be
I asked you many things
But being in the same place as I was, never that
How could I ask you about a place that I had never been?
What I feel is not anger
Just deep sadness
You are another boy I can add to the list
who felt it was okay to string me along
According to you, stringing me along is not fair
But that is exactly what you did
With each slow kiss
and longing gaze you led me to believe your four words
And I did
I drank them
Sipping the sweetness out of each one
I allowed myself to get carried away
Drunk on your four words
Hungover on sadness
Because somewhere along the way you thought
letting me down easy through a text message
was the best idea
But I'm here to tell you that it was not
Your words starring back at me
Snatching my feelings off my sleeve
Leaving them by the wayside
Exposing them to the world
and there was nothing I could do about it

No comments: