Sunday, May 18, 2008

Writing poems after parties

My heart silently breaks every time I realize you are getting farther and farther away from me
You come to me with your hopes and dreams
Effortlessly sharing them with me
I have taken each hope and dream
And placed myself in them
Imagining a time when we were an us
Not just friends
A time when I was the best part of your day
But you also come to me with the image of the girl of your dreams
I am not her
I am not her
I am not the girl that makes your heart stop
When you look at her because her presence has taken over
I am not her
As I write this
My heart silently breaks
But I put it back together
Mending it with Band-Aids
Hoping they are strong enough to keep my heart intact for the time being
So when you told me about that other girl
Gave me her name and all her attributes
You actually slapped me in the face and didn't even know it
Here I am wearing my heart on my sleeve
For no one but you
And you don't even notice
Don't even notice the quite moments between us
The moments when I put my heart away to be the friend
You have been accustomed to know
I have not mastered the art of being your friend and your potential love
I am teetering on a tight rope
A thin line
Hoping and praying that I don't fall

No comments: